Best Golf Clubs on Vancouver Island (I)
"Where do you picture the clubhouse?" is a game some of us golfers play while we're driving along admiring landscape that seems naturally predisposed to being the perfect golf tract. Pristine and breathtakingly beautiful, Vancouver Island with its sweeping ocean views, beaches, rainforests, marshes, mountains, meadows, rivers and lakes is a mother lode of such locations.
Fortunately, this attribute has been duly noticed by the professionals, so you will find outstanding championship courses designed by masters such as Jack Nicklaus, A.V. Macan and Les Furber as well as great nine-hole options and community facilities suitable for all skill levels. While this article will focus on some of the finer 18-hole championship courses, there's much more golfing at your disposal.
1. Best Golf Clubs on Vancouver Island: Victoria Region
Given its quaint setting on a harbor, and decidedly British roots, downtown Victoria is a place you'll want to explore —from its funky BC craft beer breweries to high tea at The Fairmont Empress Hotel.
2. Best Golf Clubs on Vancouver Island: Cedar Hill Municipal Golf Course — While short in length, Vancouver Island's first municipal golf course, established in 1920 as nine holes and expanded to 18 in the 1950s, is good place to get your game going, because water hazards, rock outcrops and other features demand every club in your bag.
3. Best Golf Clubs on Vancouver Island: Olympic View Golf Club — Owned and operated by GolfBC and located just 20 minutes from downtown Victoria, it is a par 72, 18-hole championship golf course highlighted by two waterfalls, 12 lakes, the Olympic Mountains in the horizon, and roaming deer and soaring eagles Its award-winning GBC Golf Academy offers expansive grass tee decks, five target greens, and three short game area. Enjoy locally inspired cuisine at Forester's Bistro & Bar in the stunning 23,000 square-foot club house with floor to ceiling windows and wrap around patio overlooking the course caps off the round.
4. Best Golf Clubs on Vancouver Island: Highland Pacific — Victoria's newest public course, just minutes away, threads through West Coast forest, rock, fescue and natural water features, while affording spectacular views of Victoria, Olympic Mountains, the Strait of Juan de Fuca, Thetis Lake Park and Bear Mountain. Even the practice facility has plenty of targets and hazards in its two-tiered driving range, bunker and short game areas. Unwind from your game at The Range Café.
5. Best Golf Clubs on Vancouver Island: Mount Brenton Golf Club — As you might expect in this abundant growing belt, in artsy mural-bedecked Chemanius, you'll find the course dubbed the Island's friendliest.
Book your next island golf getaway to Vancouver Island where you don't have to imagine where to place the clubhouse; it’s already there!