Best Places to Stay in Peru (I)
Peru, officially known as the Republic of Peru, is a fascinating country located in South America. It was home to ancient cultures spanning from the Norte Chico civilization – one of the oldest in the world, to the Inca Empire, the largest state in Pre-Columbian America. Peru is a wide mixture of cultural traditions, worth visiting any time of the year. This is a review of the best accommodation options in Peru.
1. Best Places to Stay in Peru: Explorama Lodges – This is Iquitos’ largest lodge operator and their numbers cannot be ignored. They have several lodges in different areas, so you can combine stays at any of them and get the chance to see a number of different habitats, forests, and fauna.
2. Best Places to Stay in Peru: Muyuna Lodge – Muyuna is south of Iquitos, not far from Pacaya Samiria and in close proximity to stunning scenery and wildlife. The price is one of the most reasonable I have found for the quality of the lodge, the guides, and overall accommodations and tours.
3. Best Places to Stay in Peru: Explorama Inn – This Puerto Maldonado legend is the most conservation-minded of any jungle lodge I have ever visited. The amenities are not as luxurious as other lodges, but the real reason you come to the jungle – for wildlife viewing – is the best.
4. Best Places to Stay in Peru: Posada del Puruay – This country estate near Cajamarca takes every opportunity to get you to enjoy the hills and fresh air. Their land is great for horseback riding, hiking, cycling, fishing, and just plain relaxing. The friendly sheepdogs that run around the grounds act as tour guides as well.
5. Best Places to Stay in Peru: Casa San Blas – This new hotel hidden in a small side street in San Blas in Cuzco is one of the most charming. The rooms are quite affordable and suites with kitchenettes are just a slight bit more.
6. Best Places to Stay in Peru: Tambo Viejo – A restored Victorian style home about 10 blocks from the center of Arequipa is one of the best budget options I have found in the country. There is a long list of amenities, clean rooms, and a vibrant social scene.
7. Best Places to Stay in Peru: Hotel Taypikala – This hotel in Chucuito, near Puno, is rumored to be owned by an Aymara shaman. The décor here is quite strange and enchanting, which can also be said for the lake and its people.