Most Spectacular Abandoned Destinations Across The Globe (I)
Abandoned cities, ghostly islands, deserted train stations, or castles in ruins, places forgotten by people, which have an apocalyptic, but special beauty. This is a review of some of the most spectacular abandoned destinations across the globe.
1. Most Spectacular Abandoned Destinations Across The Globe: Prypiat, Ukraine
Pripyat is a town that was once inhabited by almost 50,000 people. After the nuclear disaster from Chernobyl, in 1986, the town was abandoned due to radiation. In the absence of people, nature has seized Pripyat and the result seems detached from a doomsday movie.
2. Most Spectacular Abandoned Destinations Across The Globe: Mir diamond mine, Eastern Siberia, Russia
Mir mine represents the second largest crater made by the hand of man on the Earth's surface. The mine was built at the command of Stalin to ensure the demand for diamonds of the Soviet Union. The huge industrial area has been abandoned once – due to the intense exploitation – it became increasingly more difficult to bring the diamonds to the surface
3. Most Spectacular Abandoned Destinations Across The Globe: Themed Park Gulliver, Kawaguchi, Japan
Built in the shelter of Mount Fuji, this themed park was opened in 1997. Despite the financial support received from the Japanese Government, after 10 years it was closed due to the lack of visitors.
4. Most Spectacular Abandoned Destinations Across The Globe: Disney Island, Buena Vista, Florida, United States of America
One of the natural attractions of the Disney Empire in Florida, Discovery Island seems to have been abandoned after it has been discovered a potentially deadly bacterium in the waters surrounding the land.
5. Most Spectacular Abandoned Destinations Across The Globe: The Lighthouse upon the cliffs of Aniva, Sakhalinskaya Oblast, Russia
The island, located on the eastern coast of Russia, has served in the past as a location for a prison and was cause for controversy, for a while, between Japan and Russia. At the moment, Aniva is owned by Russia.
6. Most Spectacular Abandoned Destinations Across The Globe: Railway Canfranc, Spain
Canfranc train station was part of the international railway route passing through Spain and France. An accident in 1970 destroyed a bridge near the station, separating the two countries. Following this incident the railway line was left in neglect.