Places To Visit In Switzerland (Part 2)
Last week we started a new series about the most important places to visit in Switzerland. This week we continue our list with five more amazing tourist attractions:
6. Mürren is a friendly and car-free summer and winter holiday resort situated on a sun-drenched mountain terrace, and provides hikers with one of the best bases for exploring the Alps along well-marked trails. Expect to spend at least six hours if you decided to venture down the main hiking trail here. Also, you’ll want to spend a day riding the 23,000 feet of aerial cables that connect Mürren with the top of Piz Gloria at 6,900 feet (2,100 m). This ride, which is definitely one of the places to visit in Switzerland, takes you through a series of stops and it’s the longest cable car ride in Switzerland.
7. St. Moritz is the winter resort playground of the rich and famous. Known for its unending miles and miles of ski tracks, snowboarding runs and spectacular upper crust shopping, St. Moritz is also a hiker’s paradise during the summer months. It is also home to the “White Turf”, featuring the best of Switzerland’s equine athletes racing on snow. Thoroughbred racing, harness racing, polo and racing on skis are very popular during the winter months, and are sights not to be missed. You can join in the fun as well by taking one of the many horse-drawn sleighs that serve as “taxis” in St. Moritz. Located in Canton Graubünden.
8. Zürich’s Bahnhoffstrasse is one of the finest shopping areas anywhere in Europe and definitely one of the places to visit in Switzerland. During Christmas time, the streets are lined with tiny lights, while people window-shop to their hearts’ delight. Vendors line the streets offering toasted almonds and hot cider, and the lure of fresh-baked goods and Christmas cookies are everywhere.
9. Harder Kulm is Interlaken’s mountain and offers great views of the famous holiday resort between the lakes of Thun and Brienz and the entire Jungfrau region. This area is especially good if you’re traveling with children, who will undoubtedly love the Wildlife Park at the Valley Station, and the trip to the top by funicular. Located in Canton Bern.
10. Engelberg is in central Switzerland, and is one of the greatest places to visit in Switzerland for families and for sports enthusiasts. The area boasts a top ski school and the biggest paragliding school in Switzerland, as well as other snow sports. There are over 50 miles (80 km) of ski and snowboard trails, and 9,900-foot (3,018 m) Mt. Titlis provides a wide array of downhill runs. There are also 25 miles (40 km) of cross-country ski trails and 20 miles (32 km) of winter hiking trails available to wanderers of all levels. Also, the Engelberger Monastery gives tours of its interiors, and of its dairy, where visitors can indulge in fondue, for starters.
To be continued..