Switzerland is a rather small country and its attractions are close to each other, and therefore can be reached quite easily. Mountain resorts, lakes, forests, castles, museums, and ancient or modern architecture make this federal republic an excellent tourist destination. This series will reveal some of the most amazing places to visit in Switzerland.
1. Nowhere is Switzerland more epitomized than in the wonderful, auto-less Alpine village of Zermatt, home to some of the world’s most spectacular mountains, including the mighty Matterhorn. The Gornergrat-Bahn takes you up to a plateau at 10,171 feet (3,100 m) near the Matterhorn, where you will have fine views of the peak. Here you can enjoy a fine meal or even stay overnight. This railway leaves from near the Zermatt train station. Also, it is well worth your time to take the Klein Matterhorn cable car up to the top station at 12,533 feet (5,265 m). The views are spectacular. This cable car is at the opposite end of the village from the Zermatt train station, and is usually loaded with skiers. This is one of the most unusual and most romantic places to visit in Switzerland. Don’t miss it! Located in Canton Valais.
2. A day spent in Lucerne (Luzern in German) is one of the best you could have on your trip. Besides the spectacular scenery of mountains like Pilatus, you can stroll through the Old Town, across the famous Chapel Bridge, and then take a relaxing afternoon sailing on one of the many ships that depart regularly from the Vierwaldstättersee dock. Luzern offers some of the best shopping anywhere in Switzerland. Located in Canton Lucerne.
3. The Alpine Grand Canyon in the Alpenarena of Flims-Laax-Falera features the Rhine Gorge and its bizarre rock formations, which can be experienced on foot, by car or train. However, one of the best ways to discover this natural wonder is via a river raft. Tours of this area on rafts take place from May through October, with the help of professional guides. The rapids are mild and suitable for almost anyone. This is a great trip and definitely one of the most beautiful places to visit in Switzerland.
4. Chillon Castle near Montreux on Lake Geneva is an ancient fortress at the foothills of the Valais Alps. This is absolutely the most impressive castle in Switzerland, and can be reached by a two-mile walking path from Montreux. It is one of the best-preserved medieval castles found anywhere. Located in Canton Vaud.
5. The Schilthorn, atop Piz Gloria, enables you to marvel at the breathtaking 360-degree panorama of over 200 mountain peaks dominated by the Eiger, Mönch and the Jungfrau. You can either sit inside the world-famous revolving restaurant or stand outside on the observation deck, where portions of the James Bond movie “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service” were filmed. It’s one of the greatest places to visit in Switzerland on sunny days, but horrible during a snowstorm – and be prepared… some days they won’t let you back down if a storm is too violent down below. Located in Canton Bern.